When it comes to buying clothing, the material can matter even though it’s second hand and after reading this blog post you will understand why and have some tools as to what to think about when you buy new clothes
The most common material for clothing and while this is a natural fiber and can be grown organically without pesticides the cotton plant need a colossal amount of water to grow.
Properties: It takes up moisture easily which makes it good for towels or sheets but makes it not so good for workout clothing or swimwear as it soaks up the water and becomes very heavy. It also wrinkles easily.
- Good moisture absorption
- Needs a lot of water to grow
- Tendency to shrink
- The biggest need for pesticides
- If organic it needed even more water and land to grow
- Loses a lot of its quality when recycled
The fabric linen is made from flax and comes from the stem of the flower of the plant. It’s a pretty stiff fabric and looks similar to the fabric made from hemp.
It’s not necessary to use pesticides when growing flax as it can grow in quite cold climates, where the risk of vermin is much smaller.
The process of making the linen is a time-consuming process which can often bring up the price of it.
From an environmental point of view I’d call linen the second best material after hemp.
- Extremely breathable
- Perfect for hot weather and keeps you 3-4 degrees cooler than cotton
- Very strong & durable. 2x as strong as cotton
- Can be grown without fertilizer or pesticides
- Doesn’t need that much water to grow
- Completely natural, biodegradable and easy to recycle
- Wrinkles very easily
- Often needs special and delicate care
- Is Sometimes dyed with toxic chemicals
When speaking of wool it is from the sheep, other wool normally go under other names, like Angora from the Angora Rabbit or Cashmere from the goats originating from the area Kashmir in India. They all have similar properties though, and here they are:
- Good for both hot & cold climates
- Dirt & dust resistant
- Fire resistant
- Water resistant
- Shrinks easily
- Can be itchy
- Often requires special care
- Can pill
- Not vegan
More Information :